Saturday 16 December 2017

Venetians 01

Here are four 28mm scale figures from another one of the seven main races featured in the N.E.W. role-playing game - the elf-like Venetians. Note that these are all very old figures that I bought many years ago and they are all no longer in production.
Physically, Venetians are slightly smaller than humans. They have long pointed ears and bald heads - even their females are bald. At the far left is Merellian, a male Psi-Cop officer. He is armed with a sword and he has a holdout laser pistol hidden behind his back. Next to him is his younger partner, Jorildyn. He is armed with a standard laser pistol. Jorildyn is wearing a wig. These two figures were produced by Grenadier Miniatures as part of their Shadowrun range. I filed off the hair on Merellian's head but I decided to leave the hair on Jorildyn and explain it away as a wig. Perhaps he needs it for an undercover assignment.
The only female in this group is Mayen and she is one tough cookie. She is a Grade 10 young, brilliant Star Knight who sings softly when relaxing. Young is a relative term. She is actually 100 years old but Venetians don't reach maturity until they are 190 and can live to well over 500 years. Note the laser sword hanging from her belt. This figure was produced by West End Games from their Star Wars range and she was a Jedi Knight, hence my reasoning for making her a Star Knight in my N.E.W. campaign.
Last but not least, is Delon the Priest. Venetian adventurers tend to be healers, priests or scientists. Delon is both a healer and a priest as he is a Biopsyche, meaning he can use his psionic powers to heal others. He is also a young Venetian, aged just 55. His hook is that he is obsessed with correct speech and grammar. As with many Venetians belonging to one of their hundreds of monastic orders, he is highly skilled in martial arts, but by nature, he is a pacifist. This figure was produced by Citadel Miniatures for the Rogue Trader game by Games Workshop, which later went on to be called Warhammer 40,000. The fact that Mayen and Delon are wearing hooded robes, meant I could easily use them as Venetians because you can't see their ears or heads.
Of course, those of you who have been following my The Ace of Spades Campaign, will be aware of another Venetian - Danica the scout, who is an important member of Kimberley's crew. Currently in development is a N.E.W. supplement wholly devoted to the Venetians called The Holds of Vendalyr. Suffice to say, I am eagerly awaiting its release.

8 comments:

  1. Showcasing such old (and sadly long OOP) miniatures is definitely one of my favourite aspects to your hobbying, Bryan. Some provide a very pleasant trip down memory lane, whilst articles, such as this one, allow me to enjoy sculpts I'd never even heard of before. I think Jorildyn is the best of the bunch, and I'm rather glad you kept the 'wig' intact. What a great overcoat he has (somewhat "Babylon 5" in my books for some reason), whilst Mayen strikes me as being a wonderfully delicate little mini. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words, Simon. I like all of these figures for different reasons, but I totally agree with your comments regarding Jorildyn and Mayen. It is certainly a shame that these figures are no longer on general sale.

      Delete
  2. Your collection of 'historical' mini's is something I really enjoy seeing featured on your blogs Bryan - long may it continue, you must have one of the best treasure troves of nostalgic sculpts in existence!
    That aside, these mini's are a great choice to represent the Venetians and your brushwork (and file handling) has tied them together brilliantly - great character backgrounds too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Greg. I do like to show off my old minis every now and again. Some could be familiar whilst others could be seen for the first time, depending upon your age and how familiar you are with certain ranges. My collection of figures is truly staggering and I still have loads more to show, so posts like this will continue for a long time to come.

      Delete
  3. I have to agree with the above comments Bryan, it’s great to see older minis coming out from a whole host of different ranges. My fave has to be the female. Such a fantastic little sculpt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andy. I'm rather inclined to agree with you. Mayen is a beautifully sculpted figure. She is also, far and away, the most dangerous out of this group. At grade 10, she has some impressive stats and skills.

      Delete
  4. Some nice looking alien additions Bryan

    ReplyDelete