Sunday 26 November 2017

Spartans 01

This is a space filler post whilst I finish preparing the climactic battle of the Raid on Sterling scenario for my The Ace of Spades Campaign. That will appear in my next post. For now, though, I'm going to show some of my figures that I have for another one of the alien races found in the N.E.W. sci-fi RPG rulebook - the Spartans. The Spartans are a warrior-like race who bear a very close resemblance to the Klingons from the Star Trek franchise. No one actually makes figures of Spartans but a number of companies make Klingon figures or Klingon lookalikes. These six figures that I'm reviewing her were all produced by Space Vixens from Mars as part of their Rim Aliens range of 28mm scale figures.
I start with three male Spartans and from left to right they are Kraroc Drozirg, Yadaka Vrach and Vimtox Klor. These are all Spartan soldiers with Yadaka Vrach in the centre being the highest ranking of them.
Kraroc is armed with a Disruptor rifle, Yadaka with a Blaster Pistol and Vimtox with a Bat'leth, which is classed as a two-handed sword.
Moving on to the females, we have from left to right, L'ohath Dukark, Sorsov Ichurk and D'lisha Khirmdath. Again, these are all soldiers. Female Spartans are every bit as aggressive as the males.
They are armed identically as the males with Disruptor Rifle, Blaster Pistol and Bat'leth respectively.
As soon as I saw this range of figures I knew that they'd make perfect Spartans. Space Vixens from Mars make quite a range of not-Star Trek figures and so I was pleased to find them. The figures cost a very reasonable £2.50 each or you can buy all six for £13.50, giving you a saving of £1.50, which is what I did. (see here - http://spacevixensfrommars.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_17&products_id=208 )

14 comments:

  1. What a great posting, Bryan, with wonderfully vibrant minis and some entertaining background to boot! I really like a lot of "Space Vixens From Mars" range, and you've done them proud with these imho. Having painted these are you now tempted to pikc up a box of "Modiphius Entertainment" Klingons, or stick to these corking looking minis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Simon. I have been buying a lot of figures from Space Vixens from Mars to use in my "The Ace of Spades Campaign." I really like them a lot and they are very nicely priced. I must admit that I am tempted by the Modiphius Klingon figures. Given that they are 32mm scale and they are highly detailed I don't think that £40 for 10 figures is a bad price for them. They aren't high on my shopping list but they are on it. I'm happy with the six I have here but I suspect it's only a matter of time before I buy the Modiphius boxed set of Klingons.

      Delete
    2. Well for what its worth, I own the Modiphius original Enterprise crew, and if their Klingons are as disappointing, then these "Space Vixens from Mars" sculpts look by far the better option imho - especially for the price!

      Delete
    3. I appreciate you telling me that, Simon. I'm not in any hurry to add to my collection of Spartans so I'll hold back on getting the Modiphius Klingons even longer.

      Delete
  2. An interesting set of not Klingons Bryan nicely painted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave. Klingons or Spartans - they're essentially the same.

      Delete
  3. Very nice Bryan, Klingons are my favourite Star Trek race so I’m sure Spartans will be in this one too 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Andy. Yes, if you like Klingons, you'll definitely like Spartans.

      Delete
  4. I like the mini's and I love the paint work! :-)
    "Spartans", "Klingons"? Looks like two words to describe the same race to me ;-)

    If they DO speak the same language, I'll dig out my "Learn to speak Klingon" cassette for you so you can understand what they're saying! I bought it YEARS ago when I went LARPing, and we spoke Klingon phrases as our 'Orc' tongue ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Greg. I suspect that EN Publishing went with the name Spartan to avoid copyright problems with the name Klingon. So, yes, they are basically the same race.

      Much as I appreciate your kind offer to learn how to speak Klingon I must respectively pass as I can't for the life of me see any reason why I'd want to. :-)

      Delete
  5. Very nice. I've got some of these same figures to paint up, though no idea when I'll get around to them. I also bought some CP Models Starship Crew figures which near-enough look like Star Trek TOS Starfleet crew, so one day I might get around to some Star Trek action with space battles and planetary skirmishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roy. I've looked at the CP Models Starship Crew before and they would certainly fit in for a Star Trek setting.

      Delete
  6. I've got these minis, I need to get mine painted up to use as Spartans! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. They do make ideal Spartans.

      Delete