Sunday 5 August 2018

Starship Construction Manual & Starship Recognition Manual

I have two more supplements for the N.E.W. RPG system to review here - Starship Construction Manual and Starship Recognition Manual. The N.E.W. rulebook covers a lot of ground, including the use of starships in a game, starship combat rules and roles for PC crew members. However, what it does not cover are rules for designing a starship. For that you need to purchase the Starship Construction Manual. There are 13 steps to designing a starship as follows -
  1. Select a hull class.
  2. Choose command and control systems
  3. Determine crew, troops and passenger numbers.
  4. Choose sub-luminal engine(s).
  5. Choose FTL engine(s).
  6. Determine initial ship superstructure.
  7. Select deflector shield(s).
  8. Add point defences if required.
  9. Allocate weaponry if required.
  10. Select additional ship equipment.
  11. Select shuttle/fighter bays (if any).
  12. Choose ship facilities.
  13. Determine final values.
Once done, you can record your starship statistics from the Ship Construction form to the Ship Recognition Readout form, both of which may be photocopied from the book or downloaded from the WOIN website. I'll be honest with you, designing a starship does involve a lot of work and you are presented with a staggering amount of choices for the various starship components. Plus, there is maths involved. Fortunately, there is an extremely helpful resource on the WOIN website, which does all the calculations for you. All you have to do is select which components you want to add. If you're not happy with your design it is a simple matter to go back and make changes. This is what I did to design The Ace of Spades and a few other starships. Then I just printed out the results and transferred them to my own design of the Starship Recognition Readout form.
The supplement includes examples of 9 pre-designed starships of various sizes, which are helpful in deciding how to design your own starship. The Ace of Spades is a Class IV Scout ship and given its components and price tag, would be classed as top of the range. It is way better than a ship of its size should be.
Is this an essential buy or not? That all depends upon whether you want starships to feature prominently in your campaign and if you do, do you want to design your own or use the pre-generated examples? When I ran my old Space Opera and GURPS Space campaigns I totally avoided starship combat and my starships were either a means to get from A to B or a place to stage a fight on. My attitude changed when I bought the N.E.W. rulebook and tried out starship combat for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. So for me, yes, this was an essential purchase. I should point out that this supplement was written for version 1.1 of the N.E.W. rulebook and there are a few changes you need to make to bring starships in line with the latest 1.2 version of the rulebook. Also, sadly, a rewrite is not on the cards. That said, I wouldn't let that put you off buying this supplement as the changes are few and relatively minor.
At the time of writing, Amazon UK have this 56 page supplement on sale for £9.99, which is a very good price.
As a complement to the above supplement is the Starship Recognition Manual and this is a much heftier tome, running to 110 pages, the vast majority of which are stats and pictures of over 70 pre-designed starships belonging to the United Space Force (USF), the Royal Spartan Armada, along with a range of Borian, Ogron, Venetian and civilian starships. Now this is one very impressive supplement. The sheer number and variety of starships presented here is an absolute godsend for any games-master. The USF is similar to the United Federation of Planets (UFP) that I'm using in my The Ace of Spades of Campaign but my campaign is set over 200 years ahead of the timeline given in this supplement. Not that that matters very much. I'll happily include any of the starships from this supplement in my campaign.
I did mention that there are a few minor changes between the version 1.1 and version 1.2 rules. One of those was in regards to the ship's traits. A starship can have up to two traits selected from a list of 19, all of which are listed in this supplement. Ships of different sizes are designated certain specific traits but you may, if you wish, change these to any other trait. Going back to The Ace of Spades, as a Scout ship it originally had the Explorer trait, which increased its operational range by +20%. In addition, I added the Lander trait to it, so it could land on planets. However, under the version 1.2 rules, the Explorer trait has been changed so the ship can perform long range scans in 5 minutes instead of one hour and the ship's sensors increase their range by +50%. I opted to change this to Fast, thus adding +1 to its FTL speed and +2 to its SUB-L speed. I still kept the Lander trait. Kimberley likes a fast ship, so that she can run from trouble if need be and spend less time in travelling from planet to planet.
Special mention must go to Russ Morrissey for designing so many ships in this supplement (I can't imagine the amount of work involved in that!) and to Ian Stead for his stunning starship illustrations, all in full colour. This is definitely a "must buy" supplement if you are at all interested in sci-fi role-playing but especially so if you like starship combat. This superb supplement is available from Amazon UK for £14.45 and it is worth every penny!
By the way, thanks to my new-found interest in starship combat and design, I have amassed quite a collection of starship miniatures in a relatively short time. The four main star-faring organisations of my campaign are very well represented, with the United Federation of Planets having, by far, the most ships, followed by the Azuriach Imperium, the Galactic People's Republic and the Mercantile League. Other races are covered. I do plan on showcasing them all on this blog in the future but at present only a few have been painted. I also plan on conducting more starship combats in my The Ace of Spades Campaign.

8 comments:

  1. A useful write-up Bryan, thanks for that.

    I've been seriously looking into doing a bit of WOIN (NEW) solo gaming this last week and have to admit to going through this blog's past posts to help me locate figure and terrain manufacturers, and info on the WOIN books. I'm planning on starting with the basic scenario from the Appendix section of the NEW 1.2 rules book and then, if that is a success, try for the Death on Ascalon adventure. I've never done rpg gaming before, outside of play by mail so I'm definitely learning as I go along and starting from the beginners position. But its all cool and I'm certainly liking the idea of playing a more in-depth gaming experience for the character's actions and personalities than you get with standard wargaming or tabletop games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Roy. Once you get into WOIN, you'll quickly learn that you can do pretty much anything you want with it. This is what immediately attracted me to it. It gave me all the tools I needed to create my own universe. The two scenarios you mention will get you off to a flying start. "Death on Ascalon" is particularly well written for starter characters. If you want "a more in-depth gaming experience" then the WOIN systems will deliver that in spades.

      By the way, I have only just bought the N.O.W. rulebook, which covers gaming in the contemporary period and completes the trilogy of WOIN rulebooks - O.L.D., N.O.W. and N.E.W. I'm really looking forward to reading it, especially the sections on martial arts and car chases.

      Delete
  2. Great reviews Bryan, should certainly help anybody who's sat on the fence on wether to purchase them or not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave. I really do highly recommend these two supplements to any sci-fi fans, whether they play WOIN or not.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for a really insightful description of these additions to the W.O.I.N collection Bryan :-)
    They definitely deliver plenty of "bang for the bucks", so this is a much appreciated review - the best bit for me though are your closing comments and i'm looking forward to seeing your collection of ships showcased and in action in the future :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words, Greg. I'll try and get a review of my current painted starships up sooner rather than later. Watch this space.

      Delete
  4. Bryan,
    Thanks for another helpful review. I'm curious do the ships in the Starship Recognition Manual have basis on any ships from Sci Fi movies? One thing I love about NEW is that it has a kitchen sink of things from a variety of Sci Fi sources (Phasers, Light Sabers, etc...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill. The ships in the manual all appear to be unique and are not based on ships from sci-fi movies. I,too, love the sandbox feel of the rules. It is one of the reasons that I became so enamoured with the rules.

      Delete