Monday 22 October 2018

Daruma SLA Industries Augustus Luxury Car

Last month I posted a review of of the Daruma Romulus Stretch Limo for the SLA Industries game. I mentioned in my post that Daruma also made a smaller version of it - the Augustus Luxury Car. At the time I was uncertain if I wanted to buy the Augustus as I much preferred the Romulus. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought it would probably be worth getting. Wayland Games, whom I bought the Romulus from, had a couple for sale, so I placed an order for one and here it is.
Sleek, Luxurious and Aggressive is a fitting description of the Augustus Luxury Car, much favoured by successful SLA Industries operatives.
This is a resin model and it came in six parts - the body, front grille and bumper bar and four wheels.
As with the Romulus, which it closely resembles, it has a very tall body and tiny windscreen and windows. From the front it looks angry and aggressive, all the better for those wanting to intimidate other road users.
As I mentioned in my review of the Romulus, the driver relies on advanced sensor technology to drive the vehicle and doesn't really need the windscreen at all.
The Augustus can comfortably seat five - the driver and four passengers. Note that it only has two doors, not four.
The dimensions of this car are 13.5cm (5.5") long by 7cm (2.75") wide by 3.5cm (1.5") tall.I painted it in gloss black paint to match the colour scheme of the Romulus Stretch Limo.
Here are a couple of photos showing the Augustus Luxury Car and the Romulus Stretch Limo side by side, with my figure of Vampifan to give a sense of their scale. I would imagine that these vehicles are very heavily armoured but have superb handling and goodness know what modifications and/or hidden weapons.
Now that I have the Augustus, I'm pleased that I made the decision to buy it when I did. Both vehicles will definitely see use in my The Ace of Spades Campaign and in future games of Judge Dredd. Note that Wayland Games no longer have these models in stock and I'm not aware of anyone else who sells them.

8 comments:

  1. Those are cool looking, especially painted gloss black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Major. There was never doubt in my mind that they should be gloss black.

      Delete
  2. Such a shame these aren't available any more, Bryan, as I'm sure your paint-jobs and promotion of them would have generated them some additional sales - as so many of your posts doubtless do. Nice to see some gloss in a Vampifan photo too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more, Simon. I do hope they are not gone forever as I'd happily buy more of them. I'm not totally averse to gloss paint. ;-) It does have its uses, especially on vehicles when you want that highly polished, factory fresh look, as I did with both of these.

      Delete
  3. I think I prefer the smaller car even though it is still pretty big, it just seems to scale better, although it's not so easy to be sure in a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I have to admit, the Luxury Town Car is growing on me, but I still much prefer that big Stretch Limo. It's a beast!

      Delete
  4. Sweet. With the new Speed Freeks game still missing humans, my ambition to be `all shiny and chrome' is still unfulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil, and that's a fair comment about "Speed Freaks".

      Delete