Wednesday 1 May 2019

15 Additional Careers for W.O.I.N.

One of the things I love about running my WOIN blog is getting to interact with the authors of some of the rulebooks and supplements. A few days ago I was contacted by Micah Dickey asking if I'd review his new supplement, 15 Additional Careers for WOIN? I, of course, said, yes. He sent me a free PDF copy of his work and I was very impressed with it.
What he has done is create 5 new careers for each of the main WOIN systems, each supporting a wide variety of exploits and play styles ranging from roleplaying, to combat, to utility.
The OLD careers are Gigamancer, School of Light and Dark, Constructology, Hunter and Trapper.
The NOW careers are Samurai, Vagrant, Shadow Strider, Powerlifter and Freerunner.
The NEW careers are Gadgeteer, Politician, Zephyr, Trickshot and Treasure Hunter.
These are all useful in one way or another. The Trapper and Trickshot comes with rules for creating traps and offers a wide range of sample traps. It might seem odd to find the Samurai in the NOW contemporary period and not the fantasy setting of OLD but when you read about him, it makes sense. The career I found most useful was the Politician. Sure, there's a Politician career in NOW but I wanted one for my The Ace of Spades Campaign. What I particularly like about these 15 new careers is that they all come with lots of exploits for you to choose from.
I only have one minor criticism of this supplement and that is for the Politician. It lists its pre-requisite as Medicine skill, which makes no sense to me. Why not Administration or Bureaucracy?
Anyway, I can highly recommend this supplement. At the moment it is only available to buy as a PDF file from DriveThruRPG for just £2.30 or $2.99. Here's the link for it - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/257990/WOIN-15-Careers-for-WOIN?term=WOIN+

6 comments:

  1. Nice review Bryan, and what seem to be some great new character profiles, I agree with your sentiment on the politician

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Dave. Yes that pre-requisite for the Politician career really jarred with me. I'll be ignoring it and using Administration or Bureaucracy instead.

      Delete
  2. Bryan thanks for the review. And thanks for the criticism. I'll be updating the .pdf file and fixing that typo. It was a formatting error on my part

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Micah, and a big thanks for letting me review this very useful supplement. I'm glad to hear that the Medicine pre-requisite for the Politician was just a typo and not a deliberate decision. The N.O.W. rulebook has Local Knowledge for their Politician pre-requisite, which also makes a lot of sense. So too does, Public Speaking or of course, Politics.

      Delete