Tuesday 12 June 2018

Rogue Stars Aliens 01

The figures I'm showcasing here were all made by North Star for the Rogue Stars sci-fi skirmish game produced by Osprey Games. I do not own Rogue Stars, nor have I ever played it or have any desire to. However, I do like the North Star range of figures, which work fine for my The Ace of Spades Campaign. I have already shown a couple of androids and other figures from this range. Here, I have four assorted aliens and a pair of Spartan assassins.
First up, at the far left is a tiny, fur-covered alien with long pointed ears and carrying a Blaster Pistol. I have no idea what race he is as Rogue Stars doesn't differentiate between their alien characters - they're just non-humans. This figure came with ROG112 - Thug and was shown sitting on the large Thug's left shoulder as either a pet, a familiar or a diminutive ally. I used the Thug figure to represent Gorrat the Ogryn star marine, who was one of the crew of the starship Murphy - see here.
The Thug and the tiny ally costs £6.00 for the pair.
The alien who is second from the right appears to be creating a fireball spell, prior to launching it. Magic isn't part of the N.E.W. system, which uses Psionics instead, but there is no reason not to include it, using the Magic rules presented in O.L.D. He is the closest to a human in terms of size but his physiology is different in a number of respects. He was part of set ROG114 - Renegades, which also contained a female human. I used the human to represent Sasha Bolotnikov, the captain of the starship Murphy (see the link above to view her). The pair of renegades cost £6.00.
That leaves two aliens and they are sold as a pair - set ROG110 - Soldiers of Fortune. The green-skinned alien second from the left is armed with a rifle, which I'm classing as an Assault Laser. He is smaller than a human, roughly Dwarf/Borian sized.
His colleague at the far right is much larger and stockier. He is heavily armed and armoured. His main weapon is a heavy Railgun and he has a pair of holstered Slugger Pistols as back up firearms. He is wearing a Basic Battlesuit, which offers SOAK:8 and is classed as heavy armour. This pair of figures also costs £6.00.
This pair of figures, sold together as set ROG101 Assassins immediately made me think of the N.E.W. alien race, the Spartans, who are clearly based on the Klingon race from Star Trek. I do like the fact that these are classed as Assassins and that they come in male and female versions.
I did name them, choosing appropriate names from the Klingon name generator from the Fantasy Names Generator website - see here - http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/star-trek-klingon-names.php#.Wx5zgYoo-Uk
The female, at the left, is J'Tarsoh Drar and the male is called K'hash G'onargh. They are armed with Blaster Pistols and two Combat Knives each. If you're looking for cheap proxy Klingon figures these will work very well, in my opinion. They cost £6.00 for the pair.

8 comments:

  1. Another nice collection of aliens Bryan, and nicely painted. My favourite out of this group has to be the stocky fellow with the railgun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Dave. I can see why you'd like the stocky guy with the railgun - he looks a right hardcase.

      Delete
  2. Great collection of minis Bryan, and I agree with Dave's choice for "pick of the group". He looks very familiar - was there an old mini that looked similar??
    The N.E.W system shows its versatilty yet again with how easily such a diverse collection just "fit in" so well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you most kindly, Greg. The big guy is new to me but that doesn't mean that someone hasn't made a similar looking figure in the past.

      One of the many things I love about the WOIN games in general and N.E.W. in particular is its versatility. It really does provide you with a sandbox to create whatever you want.

      Delete
  3. Some fine looking aliens there, I was tempted with the North Star range a while ago but with no system that I play to support it there would be little point. They are fine looking though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Andy. I fully understand and whilst I have no interest in "Rogue Stars" as a game, I can certainly find use for this range of figures in my N.E.W. games.

      Delete
  4. There's some nice mini's in this group Bryan, sets the imagination running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John, and you're not wrong either. My imagination is already working on a number of plots to make use of these figures.

      Delete