Tuesday 19 June 2018

Rauwoof Canines 01

One of the main alien races in FGU's Space Opera role-playing game are the Rauwoof Canines -  a race of bipedal, sentient dogs. I briefly mentioned them in my Setting of the Ace of Spades Campaign post part 2, see here - https://vampifanwoin.blogspot.com/2017/08/the-setting-of-ace-of-spades-campaign.html
In this post I want to show you five of my figures that I'm using to represent my Rauwoof Canines.
First up are a pair of mercenary scouts and twin brothers, Vrarg, at the far left, and Wrorf. They are both armed with Slugger Rifles. With their keen sense of smell, Rauwoofs make excellent scouts, trackers or bounty hunters. These figures are very old Citadel Miniatures, made in a time before Citadel became a part of Games Workshop. Wrorf is a conversion, as he was originally unarmed and I believe he was sold as a werewolf. I added the rifle to his back and his sensor and ammo pouches to his belt as soon as Citadel produced the armed werewolf figure, who came later. Note that I added the tail to both figures.
In the centre of the group is H4-ML37, aka Hamlet, who is a scout for the Rauwoof Marines. He is armed with a Daywide Construction GA80 Plasma Hunting Rifle and he wears Camouflaged Riot Armour, which offers him good protection without hindering his mobility. This figure is produced by Hasslefree Miniatures as part of their Sci-fi Aliens range and is HFSF118 - H4-ML37 priced at £5.00. Note that he is a two-piece casting and his right arm and gun are a separate component.
Finally, are a pair of bounty hunters, who work as a team. They are Doruargg with the sand-coloured fur and Marrok with the brown-coloured fur. Doruargg is armed with a Phaser Pistol and Marrok wields a Laser Rifle. These are very old figures produced by Grenadier Miniatures and were part of the boxed set of Traveller Aliens, where they were classed as Vargr with Pistol and Vargr with Rifle. I'm sure that fans of Traveller will recognise the name of this race of canines. Incredibly, I only just got round to painting this pair very recently when I decided I wanted to showcase my canine figures. Making these Rauwoofs instead of Vargr was not a big jump. When I dug out this box I discovered a few other figures of aliens in amongst them, including some beautifully sculpted felines, who I must get round to painting. Actually, all of the figures in that box deserve to get painted. They'd all fit in so well in my The Ace of Spades Campaign.

10 comments:

  1. Blimey, Bryan, that old “Citadel” werewolf mini takes me back... I still have mine somewhere. What a great blast from the blast - and an innovative way of bringing a 40 year model back on the tabletop too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon. I'm delighted that you still have that old Citadel werewolf figure. I thought he'd be perfect for my canine race.

      Delete
  2. Well some of these are a real blast from the past, Nicely done Bryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right, Dave. Four of these figures are decades old.

      Delete
  3. How cool are these? Hasslefree have got some really nice canine models at the mo.

    https://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=chipster~hfsf129&category=sci%252dfi-%26%0D%0Aweird-war~%2Anew-sci%252dfi%2A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they do, Andy, and that's a cracking mini you've shown there. He's definitely going on my shopping list.

      Delete
  4. Yet another sublime stroll down memory lane!
    These were never a favourite of mine from "Space Opera", but that doesn't stop me liking the minis and the paintjobs you've given them Bryan :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Greg. To be honest I never used the Rauwoofs when I was playing "Space Opera." I much preferred the Mekpurr felines.

      Delete
  5. I've never seen these before but they did make me smile when I saw them. :-)
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. Apart from the Hasslefree figure, they are very old and not that well known. I'm glad they made you smile.

      Delete