Thursday 20 September 2018

Ogrons 01

Ogrons are one of the seven core species of the N.E.W. role-playing game and in this post I'm going to show you some of my collection of Ogron miniatures. A typical Ogron is roughly 7' tall. Towering masses of muscle, accompanied by green skin and bestial tusks, they so much resemble the ogres of fairytale and lore than humankind named them after the mythical creatures. Ogrons have a reputation for stupidity. While it’s certainly true that most of humankind outstrips the Ogron species in terms of intelligence and education, Ogrons aren’t quite as stupid as many expect – they, as a species, do manage to operate and build starships, after all. Ogron adventurers tend to be mercenaries and soldiers.
At the far left is a Ral Partha troll from their old Shadowrun range, but he is both the right height and has the right face for an Ogron. Funnily enough, when I first bought him in the 1990's I painted him with green skin, so all I had to do update him for my The Ace of Spades Campaign was to re-base him. He is obviously a night club bouncer but he could just as easily be a bodyguard. He is armed with a sap and possibly a concealed pistol. I haven't named him yet.
Next to him is a very old figure whom I have no recollection of who produced him. I just know he's long out of production and he certainly wasn't sold as an Ogron. But, once again, he's the right height for an Ogron and under that helmet who's to say what he looks like? So, I'm using him as an Ogron bounty hunter. He is armed with a Terralight IJ95 Hellswarm Neutron Autocannon and he wears a Shinobi Duranium Breastplate, which gives SOAK:6 with a closed helmet. He has not been named yet.
The figure second from the right is a limited edition casting of Fergee, a character from the Judge Dredd story, The Day the Law Died (published in 1978-79) and he helped Dredd to overthrow the mad Judge Cal. Dave Stone, from Wargames Terrain Workshop sculpted this figure and he kindly gifted me a copy of him. Warlord Games produced a 28mm scale version of Fergee for their Judge Dredd Miniatures Game but he looked too small for the character who appeared in the comics. Sadly, Dave's version is too tall, but I thought, if I added tusks to him and painted his skin green he'd make a perfect Ogron. So that's what I did, and I renamed him Fergig, which sounds more Ogron-like. He is armed with a wooden baseball bat, which is classed as a club. I'll almost certainly use him as a powerful street thug.
Finally, we come to Patti, the only female Ogron I own. She is part of the Ghosts of Gaia range of figures produced by Bad Squiddo Games and is available from their webstore for £12.00. Note that like Fergee/Fergig, she is a resin cast figure. Once again, I have added tusks to her mouth. She provides muscle for the Ghosts of Gaia mercenary company. I have all of this range and I will be covering them in future posts just as soon as I get the rest of them painted up. She is armed with a club with barbed wire wrapped around its business end.

6 comments:

  1. great looking group of Ogron's Bryan, good you found a use for the model

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Dave, and once again, many thanks for the Fergee figure.

      Delete
  2. I daren't ask how you know Patti is female but she does look scary enough ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point to make, John. All I can say is that Bad Squiddo Games only produce and sell female figures, ergo, Patti must be female. But she doesn't look very feminine, does she?

      Delete
  3. I love that bouncer! In a tux - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete